Fonds Number: 303
Title: Terry Hawkins fonds
Creator: Terry Hawkins
Dates of Material: c. 1948
Physical Description: 9 photographs, 4×6,
Scope and Contents:
Photos of Jackson Park and Bonnerworth area taken by Terry Hawkins with his first camera, c. 1948, and showing the area in a period of transition.
1- Hamilton Park, the island being improved and the wading pool being enhanced c 1948. This is shortly after this area stopped being the city’s open garbage dump.
2- Hamilton Park c 1948. Island enhanced and wading pool dam in place. Note Jackson Park central entrance and Parkhill road bridge in background.
3- Parkhill road bridge over Jackson Creek, c 1948; the bridge, then Trevor Hawkins on his bike, CNR level crossing, hill up to Fairbairn Street.
4- Hamilton Park. Jackson Creek under modification c 1948.
5- The cement White Bridge in Jackson Park, c 1948. (In summer a dam was placed on the near side (west) of the bridge to create a swimming area.
6- Parkhill Road level bridge over Jackson Creek and level CNR train crossing; note the steam locomotive.
7- A view of the Bonnerworth factory taken from Bonaccord Street, c 1948.
8- CNR engine heading downtown. Houses are on McDonnl Street near the Bonnerworth.
9- View of Bonaccord Street bridge over Jackson Creek, c 1948.
10- CNR station 1970/71 Bethune St. Peterborough Looking south on Bethune St from Charlotte St.
11- Pins and patches
Pin Peterborough Ski Club, 1937-1938
Buttons United Packinghouse Workers CIO 1945
Button “Percival’s Radio Good Deed Club 1948″
Grafton’s Knothole Gang
Vote Liberal “Dit” Clapper [federal election, 1949]
Patch Peterborough Ski Club, 1950-51
Patch Devil’s Elbow 90
Plastic pin Peter Robinson Homecoming 1975
Shoulder patch Prince of Wales Rangers Canada
Open to researchers.
None Available on site.
The photos were donated to the Trent Valley Archives in November 2010 by Terry Hawkins. Pins and patches were donated in October 2011.
Biographical Sketch/ Administrative History
Terry Hawkins grew up in Peterborough, and in 1948 was living at 492 Bonaccord Street with his parents, John H. and Jean Hawkins, and his brother Trevor. John Hawkins was a floor finisher who had his shop at this location, as well. By the 1950s, the family was living at the north end of George Street (781) and his father owned Peterborough Sales and Rentals, at 24 Barnardo Avenue. Terry Hawkins was a teacher for many years, and was the author of two books on collecting milk bottles and related ephemera.