The fonds consists of the working files and drawings of J.P. Cahorn Engineering, which are arranged chronologically and alphabetically and filed according to his project numbers, which start with the year (although there are some conflicts in his system). They include information from other sources. He acted as a consultant on a variety of very different sites and/or buildings, mostly in the City of Peterborough but also throughout Peterborough County and beyond. Most of his work was related to structural engineering of new and existing sites and buildings for residential, industrial and commercial projects. He dealt with small and large projects, from someone’s garage addition to a 4-story condominium building. He consulted for residents, businesses, industries, cities, townships and public organizations. His approach to projects was always diligent, thorough, and consistent.
Access Points: Norwood; Collingwood; YMCA; All Saints Church, Peterborough; Millbrook; Hope Sawmill, Lang; Ennismore; 40 Auburn St. Condominium Building; Campbellford; Indusmin; Peterborough Club; Bobcaygeon; Peterborough Courthouse; Omemee; Nephton; Buckhorn; Warsaw
The fonds consists of high-resolution scans of approximately 230 colour, sepia, and black and white vintage postcard images of Peterborough, Lindsay, and various locations in the Kawartha Lakes region. All originals measure approximately 9×14 cm. The scans include the front and back of each card (labelled “a” and “b” respectively); these were scanned (at a resolution of 600 dpi) and labelled by the donor before donation. All paper originals remain with the donor; he has donated only the scans to TVA to use for public research, publications (when copyright allows), and TVA publicity.
The overwhelming majority of the original cards date ca. 1900 to 1920; others date from 1920 to 1945; and a small portion of the original cards date from the late 1940s to the mid- to late-1970s. Most of the original cards are mass-produced cards consisting of lithographed images printed onto standard cardstock; others are real photograph postcards (RPPCs) which are black and white photographic images printed (from negatives) onto 9×14 cm photographic paper and rubber-stamped on the back. Many of the early cards were manufactured by the Valentine & Sons postcard company (which had offices in Toronto and, incidentally, used Roy Studio images on their cards) and the International Stationary Company of Picton. Others were produced by more local manufacturers, among them the Roy Studio.
The collection is organized into three major series:
Series A – Peterborough: Business and Industry, Churches and Cemeteries, Downtown Streets, Educational Institutions, Hospitals and Homes, Hotels, Otonabee River (Bridges, Lift Locks, Marinas and River Views), Parks and Campgrounds, Railway Stations, Recreation and Entertainment, Services and Public Buildings, and Misc. Rural Scenes.
Series B – Lindsay: Canal, Churches, Downtown Streets, Services and Public Buildings, and Other.
Series C – Kawartha: Apsley, Balsam Lake, Bobcaygeon, Buckhorn Lake, Burleigh Falls, Chemong Lake, Fenelon Falls, Haliburton, Havelock, Lakefield, Pigeon Lake, Rice Lake, Stoney Lake, Sturgeon Lake, and Misc. Kawartha Lakes.
Also included in the digital image collection is a scan (front and back) of a cabinet photograph of the Peterborough Lift Locks (date unknown) as well as 1 file folder containing printed copies of approximately 15 articles from the Globe and Mail online database. The original articles date from approximately 1900 to 2003 and pertain to the life and work of Frederick M. DelaFosse (FMD), first Librarian of the Peterborough Carnegie Library (opened 1911). The collection includes published letters that DelaFosse wrote to the editor of The Globe, brief mentions of FMD in society columns, and obituaries related to members of the DelaFosse and Fewer families.
Access Points: Peterborough, Ontario; Lindsay, Ontario; Kawartha Lakes; Frederick M. DelaFosse; Carnegie Library