Fonds Number: 239
Title: Alene Holt Collection
Creator: Alene Holt
Dates of Material: 1943-1971
Physical Description: 12 cm
Scope and Contents:
- Loose items from scrapbook #1, 1943-1948: One 3.5″ x 4.5″ photo of 5 members of the Ontario Alpha Theta Chapter of the Beta Sigma Phi sorority, including Alene Holt, undated. Two 8″ x 10″ photos of Alpha Theta Chapter, on two separate occasions, undated. One newspaper clipping of the sorority holding its annual Founder’s Day dinner at the Kawartha Golf and Country Club, with Alene Holt as director, 1948. Three postcards of the Seigniory Club, Quebec, one with writing on the back from Alene to her husband, Maurice Holt, that refers to a competition.
- “Personals and Social News” page from the Peterborough Examiner, originally located in scrapbook #1 where Alene notes that it is “all [her] copy,” July 28, 1943.
- June Bride Edition of The Peterborough Examiner, articles written by Alene indicated by a check mark, June 8, 1944. Originally located in scrapbook #1.
- Scrapbook #1 compiled by Alene Holt, 1939-1944, 2cm. Includes articles written by Alene, and information on Victory Bonds, the Victory Loans Players, Kinettes, and the Alpha Theta Chapter of the Beta Sigma Phi sorority. See attached index for details. NB: Cover and many pages are loose and somewhat crumbling.
- Scrapbook #2 compiled by Alene Holt, 1954-1964, . Scrapbook almost entirely composed of newspaper clippings. Focus is on Alene’s political career as alderman and mayor. Highlights include a promotional pamphlet with Alene’s detailed biographical data, and a photo of Alene at age 9. See attached index for details.
Open to researchers.
None Available on site.
Materials were donated by The Peterborough Examiner, Sept. 2009.
Biographical Sketch/ Administrative History
Married to Mr. Maurice Holt, manager of the city branch, Household Finance Corporation. Lived at 116 Dublin St. President of the Peterborough Kinettes, 1944 – ?. President of the Alpha Theta Chapter of the Beta Sigma Phi sorority, 1944- ?. Participant in the Victory Loan Players during WWII. Writer / reporter for the Peterborough Examiner, 1944 – ?. Member of Peterborough ladies’ bowling and curling leagues. President of the Peterborough unit of the Canadian Cancer Society (retired 1954). Alternate delegate from Canada to the 14th General Assembly of the United Nations, 1959 (Canada’s only woman delegate). President of the Peterborough Women’s Progressive Conservative Association (re-elected 1959). Elected to city council in 1954. Became Peterborough’s first female mayor in October of 1962 when council chose her to take over for Stan MacBride.upon his retirement. Elected vice-chairman of the advisory committee of the Progressive-Conservative party of Ontario, 1963. For detailed biographical data, see page 17 of scrapbook #2.
- Beta Sigma Phi sorority
- Alpha Theta Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi
- The Peterborough Examiner
- Melita O’Hara: Official Travel Counsellor for Canada and the United States, Beta Sigma Phi
- Victory Loans
- The Victory Loan Players
- The Kinettes, Peterborough
- Peterborough politics, 1950s, 60s
- growth of Peterborough, 1950s, 60s