Fonds Number: 257
Title: Carter / White Family Fonds
Creator: Jennifer Georgina Ann White (nee Carter)
Dates of Material: 1930s – 2001
Scope and Contents:
1. Photo album, 1930s, 3cm. Black and white photos of various trips to Europe (from Canada) in the 1930s. Trips appear to be group tours. Many of the photos appear to be tourist postcards/ photographs purchased in small packets. Some personal photos showing people on the tour and scenes on the ships. 1933 trip to Italy (Rome, Naples, Pompei, Sorrento) on the S.S. Belgenland. 1934 trip to Spain (Bay of Palma, Majorca, Cadiz, Barcelona), Montserrat, and Tangier on the S.S. Montrose. 1935 trip to Spain (Costa, Vigo), Gibraltar, Italy (Amalfi) on the S.S. Montclare (photo with captain). Trip to Helsinki (year?). Trip to Rabat, Madeira, Nice, Chamonix. on the S.S. Montcalm (Canadian Pacific Cruises). Tuck-in: packets of photos from Portugal, Madeira, Nice. Several loose, unidentified photos.
2. Wedding Album, Diana Herbert and Iorwerth Evans, England,1947, 1cm.
3. Wedding Album (cover removed), Angela M.B.Carter and Peter A. Nash, 1957, Essex, 1.25cm. Iorwerth Evans is one of the ushers. 3 newspaper clippings: wedding announcement, wedding photo and description of wedding.
4. Photo album, Jennifer Carter, Belleville General Hospital School of Nursing, Graduating Class, 1966, 3cm. Program of ceremony and church service. Photos of the ceremony, Jennifer Carter, and the graduating class. Photo of Sister Mooney, the graduation speaker. Congratulation cards to Jennifer, and also to the class. Congratulation letter from Lee Grills, M.P. Hastings South. Telegram from Jennifer’s father. Newspaper clipping of graduating class, The Intelligencer, May 31, 1996.
5. Photo album of Jennifer Carter, father, and fiancee Thomas R. White, 1966, 1cm. Several photos, all taken on same day. Unknown special occasion – possibly her graduation. A gift to Jennifer from her father.
6. Wedding and engagement scrapbook, Jennifer Georgina Ann Carter and Thomas Ross White, 1968, 1.5cm. Wedding invitation, newspaper clipping of wedding description, cards from bridal shower, wedding and reception description, guest signatures, cards from wedding, telegraphs, gift list. One week honeymoon in Montagu Beach Hotel, Nassau, Bahamas. Photo of first home, 140 St. Lawrence Avenue, Huron Park, Ontario. Family tree going back two generations. List of where they spent their anniversaries for the first 6 years.
7. Loose pages from wedding photo album, Jennifer Georgina Ann Carter and Thomas Ross White, 1968, 1.5cm.
8. Loose pages from wedding photo album, larger format, Jennifer Georgina Ann Carter and Thomas Ross White, 1968, 1.5cm.
9. Loose pages from honeymoon photo album, Jennifer Georgina Ann Carter and Thomas Ross White, Montagu Beach Hotel, Nassau, Bahamas, 1968, 1cm. Tuck-in: one postcard of the hotel.
10. Baby book, Graham David Douglas White, b. June 18, 1979 (son of Jennifer and Thomas White), McMaster University Medical Centre, 2.5cm. Contains birth announcement, birth certificate, hospital bracelets, telegraph from father, hair clippings, family tree (3 generations), baby photos.
11. Congratulation cards on Graham White’s birth, 1979, 1cm.
12. Baby book, Vanessa Rachel White, b. Nov. 14, 1980 (daughter of Jennifer and Thomas White), Kingston General Hospital, 3.5cm. Contains birth announcement, birth certificate, hospital bracelets, family tree (3 generations), baby photos.
11. Congratulation cards on Vanessa White’s birth, 1980, 1.5cm.
12. Photos (removed from album) of Jennifer and Thomas White’s silver anniversary trip to Sol Palmeras resort in Cuba, 1993, 2.5cm.
13. Photos and negatives of Jennifer and Thomas White’s silver anniversary celebration, 1993, 1cm.
14. Photo album of family trip west, 1971, 1cm.
15. Photo album of assorted family trips: Windsor/Detroit, 1962. Niagara 1962. Niagara / Washington 1964. London, Ontario, 1968. B.C., 1970. Niagara / Ottawa 1972. African Safari, Ontario, 1974, 1cm.
16. Photo album of Jennifer White’s graduation from McGill University (nursing), 1973, Pamela White’s grade 8 graduation from Westdale Park Public School, Napanee, 1983, Jennifer’s graduation from Queen’s University (Master of Public Administration), 1983, Tom’s graduation from Loyalist College, Belleville (2-year accounting diploma), 1984, 1.5cm.
17. Photo album of assorted family trips: Christmas in BC with Jennifer White’s sister’s family – Angela and Peter Nash and children, 1984. Barbara Carter (Jennifer White’s mother) in Florida, 1974, B.C. 1976. Palmyra, New York, 1976. 1.5cm.
18. Photo album (1 of 3) of family trip to Britain, 1976, 2cm.
19. Photo album (2 of 3) of family trip to Britain, 1976, 1.5cm.
20. Photo album (3 of 3) of family trip to Britain, 1976, 1.5cm.
21. Photo album of Jennifer White’s trip to Greece, 1978, 1.5cm.
22. Photo album of assorted family trips to Montreal, New York and Washington, 1977, African Lion Safari, 1979, Jennifer White in Alberta, 1980, and Christmas in BC, 1984.
23. Photo album of family trip to Nova Scotia, 1985. Trip to Derbyshire, U.K. 1987. Horseshow in Arnprior, Ontario, 1990. Photos and loose postcards of Jennifer White’s trip to Jamaica for a staff conference with Crothall Hospital Services (?), 1991. 1.5cm.
24. Photo album of family trip to Florida, (Gatorland, Disneyworld, Kennedy Space Centre), 1990, 1.5cm.
25. Photo album, Jennifer’s trips to Windsor, England (1992), and family trips with their two youngest children (Graham and Vanessa) to Palmyra, New York to see the Joseph Smith house, Peter Whitmer house and other sites important to the Morman Church (1993), with children Adam, Ian, Graham and Vanessa to Maine (1994), with Adam, daughter Pamela, husband Randy and children to Gettysburg / Washington (1995), 1.5cm. Note: Jennifer may have made an error in dating these trips. The photos from the supposed 1994 trip to Maine include a picture of Ian who was on a mission in Taiwan at the time. He also looks younger than 21 (his approximate age in 1994) in the photo.
26. Photo album of Ian receiving the Melchizedec Priesthood (Mormon coming-of-age ceremony), Maine, 1991, and his later mission to Taichung, Taiwan 1993-1994 (farewell party, training in Utah, mission), 1cm.
27. Photo album of assorted family trips: Christmas in BC with Jennifer’s sister’s family. Trip to Niagara falls with friend Suzanne Foster, 1995, other assorted photos, 1cm.
28. . Photo album, family trips to the Toronto Zoo, 1996, 1cm. 11 photos of animals. No family shots. Many blank pages.
29. Photo album of Graham’s endowment, 1998, and mission in San Jose, California, 1999-2001, 1.5cm.
30. Photo album of ceremony at Thorah Central School, Beaverton, Ontario, involving Ian, Graham, and Vanessa, 1999?, 1.5cm.
31. Photo album of special Mormon occasions in the family (baptisms, blessings, etc.), 1970 – 2000, 1.5cm.
32. Photo album of Jennifer’s son Adam, wife Deb, son Ethan and extended family at Ethan’s baptism / blessing, 2000, 1cm.
33. Photo album (1 of 2) of Ian’s trip to England, 1988, 1.5cm.
34. Photo album (2 of 2) of Ian’s trip to England, 1988, 1.25cm.
35. Photo album of Ian and Melissa’s wedding, 1995, 1.75cm.
36. Photo album of Pam and Randy and children, 1994-1995, 1.5cm.
37. Photo album of Pam and Randy and children, 1996-1997, 1.5cm.
38. Photo album of Pam and Randy and children, 1997-1998, 1.5cm.
39. Photo album of Pam and Randy and children, 1998-1999, 1.5cm.
40. Photo album of Pam and Randy and children, 1999-2000, 1.5cm.
41. Boyscout / Girlguide Notebook: “The Young Folks Diary,” belonging to Jennifer Carter, 1956. Some entries (birthdays, special occasions / events, addresses, cash transactions), 0.75cm.
42. Envelope of 14 negatives, belonging to “Mr. Carter” (Jennifer’s dad): domestic scenes, house, garden, family members, pets, car, as well as a couple of beach shots. Envelope is labelled 1957, but some of the negatives appear to be older (fashions and cars may be 1920s / 30s), 0.2cm..
43. Postcard / schedule of GM Motor Sport Stock Car Series American-Canadian Tour, undated.
44. Official Guide to Lavenham, Suffolk, 1962, 0.2cm.
45. Two descriptive pamphlets for York Minster entitled “A walk round the Minster,” undated.
46. Tower of London Guidebook, published by the Ministry of Public Building and Works, 1957 (reprinted 1966), 0.4cm.
47. Invoice and catalogue from “Feature Films for Families” to Tom and Jenny White for the purchase of two movies, 1998, 0.2cm.
48. Photo album / scrapbook compiled by Jenny Carter, of a trip she and Tom took to England, Scotland and Wales with her father, September – October 1966. Photos of travel through England, Scotland, Wales with her father and Tom, postcards, dried poppy, ticket stubs, pamphlets, tourism brochures, program guide for “The Sound of Music” at the Palace Theatre, London, guidebook for the “Cheddar Caves.” Michelin Motoring map of England, Scotland and Wales with their route marked out. Information from flight home on “BOAC” – British Overseas Airways Corporation: menu, bar service, pamphlet about BOAC cargo flights, safety brochure, postcard of airplane, duty free info. Also safety pamphlet for British European Airways. Envelope of negatives. Album is in poor condition, many items are loose, pages are somewhat crumbling, 4.25cm.
Open to researchers.
None Available on site.
Biographical Sketch/ Administrative History
The Carter family lived in Grays, Essex County, England. Father H.G. Carter. Daughter Angela Carter married Peter Nash in Essex in 1957. Angela later moved to Canada and lived in Kitimat, B.C. in 1968. Angela’s younger sister, Jennifer Georgina Ann Carter immigrated to Ontario, Canada as a teenager in 1961 (likely with her mother, Barbara Carter?) and graduated from the Belleville School of Nursing in 1966. She met Thomas Ross White while in highschool. They were engaged in 1963 and married in 1968 at which time Thomas went into Teacher’s College in London, and later got a 2-year accounting diploma from Loyalist College, Belleville, in 1984. Jennifer received a diploma from McGill in 1968, another degree from McGill in 1973, and a Master of Public Administration from Queen’s in 1983. They originally settled in Huron Park, Ontario, then moved to Hamilton, later Napanee (until at least 1984), then Woodville (until at least 1998). They had 5 children: Pamela, Adam, Ian (1973?), Graham (1979), and Vanessa (1980). Thomas and Jennifer were baptised into the Mormon church in 1970. Their son Ian went on a mission to Taichung, Taiwan 1993-1994 and was later married at the Mormon Temple in Washington. They bought a timeshare in Florida in 1990. The collection appears to have been created by Jennifer, apart from items 1, 2, and 3 which appear to be her sister’s wedding album (in which Jennifer was a bridesmaid), her sister’s friend’s wedding album (Iorwerth Evans), and the photos of European tours, possibly created by Jennifer’s parents. The vast majority of the photo albums appear to have been put together by Jennifer all at the same time (all the albums are identical, as is labelling) and may have errors in dating since they were assembled at a later date.
– Canadian Pacific Cruises
– Belleville General Hospital School of Nursing
– Joseph Smith House
– Peter Whitmer House
– Disney World
– Kennedy Space Centre
– BOAC – British Overseas Airways Corporation
– British European Airways
– Cheddar Caves
– Sound of Music