Date of the items: 2018 [Originals 1919-1999]
Physical description: 2 cm
Title: Gentry Apparel Fonds
Creator: Delor Damiany and Gentry Apparel
Repository: Trent Valley Archives
Reference number: TVA Fonds 718
Scope and contents: Fonds consists of land documents, plans and other materials related to the Gentry Apparel property on George Street.
Access Conditions: No Restrictions
Finding aid: None
Accruals: No further accruals are expected
Custodial history: Photocopied by Elwood Jones in May of 2018 from originals supplied by Delor Damiany
Administrative history: Gentry Apparel was founded by Delor Damiany and Vince DiGiacomo (d. 1993) in November of 1975 in the Peterborough Square. It then moved to the corner of George and King streets, and then back to the Peterborough Square, before it`s expansion in 2011 at 377 George Street, where it is today. In the 1980s and early 1990s, they also had a second location at Lansdowne Place. See article below.
Related fonds at TVA: There are no fonds at TVA with a close link to this one. However, compare the fire insurance plans in Fonds 90.
Cf. Peterborough Examiner columns by Elwood Jones, and Ed Arnold’s book on George Street.
W. B. Hamilton Shoes
Collis Clothing Store
Woolworth`s Department Store
Grafton’s Department Store
- A plan (1919) and chain of title for Lots I and II west of George Street north of Simcoe Street; and observations on the 1919 plan.
- An assessment and appeal of assessment done in 1998 by W. B. Hamilton (1860) Co.; documents related to a roof replacement in 1999 and photographs of the parapet and walls identifying areas needing attention; and an indenture from 1977 related to Bally Shoes, Dolcis Shoes, W. B. Hamilton Shoes, F. W. Woolworth and Collis Clothing Store.
- A plan of the apartments on the second floor of the Walkwell shoe store
The 1920 plans show the configuration of all the buildings along the west side of George Street from Hunter to Simcoe. The buildings were located in Lot 1 and part of Lot 2 of north Simcoe and south Hunter along George Street. The block within the plan is indicated by letters A to T, with the focus of interest on E and F, both held by Gentry, about 44’ x 162’.
The chain of title begins in 1833 when patented by the Crown to William Dixon. The Dixon family was connected with the building until 1883, when it was sold to George A. Cox (the Toronto Real Estate Investment Company). It was then sold to Thomas Bradburn in 1896 and leased to F. W. Woolworth for ten years from 1917-1927. The lot II portion was interconnected, but was mainly tied to the Bradburns. Leaseholders included Grafton Realty Co. Metropolitan was a leaseholder, 1927 to 1952; Allen B. Collis, 1953-; Woolworth’s 1927-1949; and several shoe companies, such as Walkwell.