Date of the items: 1933, 1948-1970
Physical description: 50 cm
Title: J. J. Turner Company Fonds
Creator: J. J. Turner Company Fonds
Repository: Trent Valley Archives
Reference number: TVA Fonds 322
Scope and contents: The fonds consists of materials related to the operation of the J. J. Turner Company, a Peterborough based manufacturer, wholesaler and retailer of canvas products, flags and outdoor recreation. Some files relate to the products handled by Turners; a large portion are shareholder and financial records, kept by R. J. Davies and his son. Of note is file one, which contains a 1933 catalogue in excellent condition.
Access Conditions: No Restrictions
Finding aid: See separate file listing in Excel
Accruals: No further accruals are expected
Custodial history: The materials were accumulated by R. J. Davies and his son D. W. Davies, who chiefly occupied managerial and shareholder roles; R. J. Davies was the secretary of the company. Through the agency of Guy Thompson, the materials were donated to the Trent Valley Archives by D. W. Davies.
Administrative history: J. J. Turner and Sons was established in Port Hope in 1870 and moved to Peterborough in 1885. In 1910, the company expanded, building a 20,000 square foot factory at the northwest corner of George and King Streets. By this time, they were employing over 60 workers, and were manufacturing a variety of canvas products, including sails, tents, awnings, and flags. The building was vacated in 1973 and the company moved to 312 George Street, but only lasted a few more years, permanently closing in 1978.
Related fonds at TVA: There are fonds at TVA with flags produced by the J. J. Turner Company, including F730 Flags and Ensigns and F790 St. Andrews United Church.
F324 Barrie’s Furriers, also contains records relating to the careers of R. J. Davies and his son D. W. Davies.
R. J. Davies
D. W. Davies
Board of Directors