Date of the items: c. 1834 – 1914
Physical description: 2 cm
Title: John Edmison Fonds
Creator: John Edmison
Repository: Trent Valley Archives
Reference number: TVA Fonds 696
Scope and contents: The fonds consists of a photograph album containing photographs related to the Edmison and Fowler families.
Access Conditions: No Restrictions
Finding aid: None, see file listing below.
Accruals: No further accruals are expected
Custodial history: Donated by Colum Diamond. The provenance was deduced from notes below some of the photographs in the album.
Biographical sketch: John Edmison was born in Smith Township on October 20, 1836 to parents John Edmison and Margaret Ann Hall. He married Charlotte Kesiah Rose Elizabeth Sherwood on August 3, 1869 and had four children with her: John, Caroline, Margaret and Maeford. He passed away on April 26, 1894 at the age of 57.
John was associated with concession 3, lot 11 in Smith Township, and the house on this property is featured in the local history of Smith as the Edmison House, but it is not the house in these photos, attributed to “Uncle John.”
There is an extensive family tree researched by Dianne Tedford for the several generations of the Edmisons; this has been added to this fonds.
Related fonds at TVA: See F2 J. Alex Edmison; F350 Rev. J. H. Edmison and F557 J. Alex Edmison Accrual for more materials relating to the Edmison family.
Access Points: Fowler Family
List of Files:
- Three women eating apples or plums: possibly Sadie Edmison; Olga Fowler; and Alberta Fowler
- Family portrait outdoors, 8 people from three generations
- Horse and cutter with two adults in winter dress; note says Henry Deyell and Uncle Harry Fowler
- Horse and plow with three young people; farm building in background
- Uncle John Edmison, house on farm; Uncle John could be 1836-1894 [Note this does not appear to be the same house as the Edmison house identified in Smith history, page 318. Concession 3, lot 11, just north of Jackson Park.]
- Horse and wagon with man, girl and two barrels
- Lady with hat and skirt with embroidered trim
- Cows behind a rail fence, barn in background
- Horse and hay wagon, with two farmers
- Lady on veranda of stone house, same house as in 5
- Cows in a field marked by rows of rocks
- Horse and wagon in front of a picket fence, note says Grandpa Edmison and William?
- Lady by a stone house (see no. 5) with barn in rear
- Two ladies, c. 1915, which could be mother and daughter
- Two men and an unhitched wagon; one with a scoop shovel, one with a pail
- Several people in a winter scene, with barn and wagons in background
- Large crowd at what appears to be an auction conducted from the hayloft
- “Stoney Lake” steamer at a lock
- Lady sitting by trees near lakeshore
- Cottage on Stoney Lake; house has carousel verandah
- Two horses and a man on a small horse-drawn plow
- Two horse team and hay wagon with two farmers and two girls in front; near the barn and windmill in background
- Lady and gentleman, each with two pails, near pine tree and board fence
- Gentleman with mustache and cap in front of a one-and-a half storey brick house with gingerbread trim