Date of the items: 1975, 1992-1999
Physical description: 5 cm
Title: Paul Jobe Logistics Fonds
Creator: Paul Jobe
Repository: Trent Valley Archives
Reference number: TVA Fonds 946
Scope and contents: The fonds consists of documents related to transportation logistics at Quaker Oats in the 1990s, and to the Trenton Pet Food Plant in 1975. They are very informative about Quaker’s objectives and successes in that period.
Access Conditions: No Restrictions
Finding aid: Contained here and with Excel files
Custodial history: Donated by Paul Jobe in February of 2022, following discussions with the archivist, Elwood Jones, about logistics. The files were those identified by the donor. There are other materials related to Quaker Oats and to the Jobe family at TVA, and these records were filed in the same area as some of them.
Biographical sketch: Paul Jobe was featured in Canadian Transportation Logistics March 1993 issue, in an article by Bonnie Toews entitled “The Stature of a CITL Winner”, pp. 18-23. He was the winner of the Distribution Executive of the Year award for that year. He specialized in issues related to logistics, transportation, customer service and pallets and was the Director of Logistics for the Quaker Oats Company in Peterborough from 1977 to 2001. While working for Quaker, Paul took courses at Sir Sandford Fleming College, Western University and Northwestern University to improve his educational background. He has been running his own company, Jobe Logistics, since 2001.
Related fonds at TVA: There are several fonds at TVA with materials related to Quaker Oats, including F507 Quaker Oats Fire; F785 American Cereal Company ̸ Quaker Oats Company; F787 Quaker Oats Fire Accident Account; F792 Paul Jobe; and F850 Scott Baker.
Trenton Pet Food Plant
List of Files:
- Donation form and related info
- Personnel Function at the Trenton Pet Food Plant, 1975, by P. R. Jobe. This is an exploration of the Personnel Office at the Trenton Pet Food Plant and its Frozen Food plant with over 300 combined employees. The report looked at areas such as recruitment, training, wages and salaries, labour relations, employee relations, services and benefits, medical, safety, community or public relations, security, plant nurse, and the clerk typist. There are several appendices including a review of accidents (Figure 9)
- Quaker Canadian Logistics Presentation, 1992. This is an interesting oral presentation of over 100 illustrations (overheads or Power Point images) that illustrate the points. The sections are Overview; Planning; Distribution; Customer Service; and Projects. The overview section is most significant in its discussion of comparisons with the United States, the importance of warehouses, distribution points and the emergence of trucks; and the discussion of highways and railways. Several of the charts provide longitudinal information from the 1980s.
- Canadian Transportation Logistics interview with Paul Jobe, 1993. This article featuring Paul Jobe discusses his thinking on the importance of logistics, and the understanding that companies have about its importance and its relationship with the development of policies and of customer service.
- Quaker Senior Management, 1992, 1994. This includes information about reporting links and the connection between the US and Canada within the Quaker Oats company.
- GPMC Executives Responsible for Logistics, 1995. This is a list of 108 Grocery Products Manufacturers of Canada, and of the Executive responsible for logistics. As well, there is a conference program on Continuous Replenishment that was held in 1995 in Toronto, Montreal and Calgary.
- Quaker Supply Chain C-99 Plan Foods and Beverage, 1999. There are several pages (many annotated) with some discussion of supply chain costs compared to production costs.