Date of the items: January 11, 1960 to April 11, 1960
Physical description: 0.5cm
Title: Peterborough Collegiate and Vocational School Fonds
Creator: Peterborough Collegiate and Vocational School Newspaper Staff
Repository: Trent Valley Archives
Reference number: TVA Fonds 630
Scope and contents: Fonds consists of seven issues of PoCket VerSion, a newspaper published by students from the Peterborough Collegiate and Vocational school. The issues date from January 11, 1960 to April 11, 1960 and are numbers 1-7 of volume 10. The newspaper includes information about activities happening in the school, interviews with students and staff, editorials, reviews and advertisements for local events and local businesses.
Access Conditions: No Restrictions
Finding aid: None
Accruals: No further accruals are expected
Custodial history: Donated by Doug Bacon on October 8, 2016.
Administrative history: PoCket VerSion was considered the official school newspaper of the Peterborough Collegiate and Vocational School during the period it was distributed. The second school newspaper established at PCVS, it was conceived in the 1950-1951 school year and ran until 1961, when it was cancelled due to criticism and a lack of support among the student body.
It was revived in the 1963-1964 school year, and again in the 1967-1968 school year, when the staff made an effort to attract new readers through clever promotional ideas. Unfortunately, these ideas did not pan out and the paper ceased production, this time for good. The next school newspaper would not be established until the 1970s.
In the 1960-1961 school year when the issues in this fonds were published, the staff of the paper included Editor Dave Clark, Assistant Editor Roger Mesley, Treasurer Jocelyn Calvert, Circulation Staff Peter Moldaver and Doug Bacon, Advertising Staff Heidi Krauss, Exchange Editor Louise Pope, Social Editor Bev. Macdonald, Teacher Advisor Mr. R. Hatton, Photography Editor Ralph Gatfield and Business Manager Lutz Ecker. Circulation staff person Doug Bacon is the donor of the issues in this fonds.
Related fonds at TVA: We have several fonds at TVA with materials relating to PCVS, especially “The Echoes” yearbooks, which are also available in our library. These include F560 Rena Cowey; F869 Susan Graham-Hendry; F926 Florence Trebilcock and F939 Len Vass.
Peterborough Collegiate and Vocational School
Adam Scott Collegiate and Vocational Institute
Sandy’s Department Store
Black’s Department Store
List of Issues:
Vol. 10 No. 1
- January 11, 1960
- Contains articles about smoking, boys sports and profiles of Paul Nornabell and Marlene Harrison
Vol. 10 No. 2
- February 3, 1960
- Contains articles about school spirit, the bowling club, taking good photos and profiles of Miss Lois Bimm and Mr. Allan Predko
Vol. 10 No. 3
- February 15, 1960
- Contains articles about school spirit, boys sports and the hi-fi club
Vol. 10 No. 4
- February 29, 1960
- Contains articles about the opening of Adam Scott Collegiate and Vocational Institute, the hi-fi club, the fencing club, and profiles of Rick Chapman and Anne Rutherford
Vol. 10 No. 5
- March 14, 1960
- Contains articles about fashion, boys sports, the hi-fi club, Miss COSSA, and profiles of Don Munro and Ruth Kidd
Vol. 10 No. 6
- March 28, 1960
- Contains articles about gender roles, CHEX Television, and profiles of Tom Lewis and Anne Thorburn
Vol. 10 No 7.
- April 11, 1960
- Contains articles about the U.N. Club, teenage problems, language, CHEX Television, and profiles of Susan McBride, Joan Yellowlees and Fred Bienefield