Date of the items: 1894-1897, 1933, 1951-1958
Physical description: 19 black and white photographs, ranging from 13×18 cm to 20×25 cm
Title: Queen Alexandra School Fonds
Repository: Trent Valley Archives
Reference number: TVA Fonds 966
Scope and contents: The fonds consists of photographs of classes, sports teams and school groups at Queen Alexandra School, as well as other schools in Peterborough.
Access Conditions: No Restrictions
Finding aid: None, see file listing below
Accruals: No further accruals are expected
Custodial history: Donated in 2013.
Administrative history: Originally named the North Ward School, Queen Alexandra School was built in 1889 at 180 Barnardo Avenue, and welcomed students the following year. In the early 1900s, after Edward VII became king, the school was renamed to Queen Alexandra to honour Edward’s wife. When the nearby Peterborough Normal School opened in 1907, the Queen Alexandra School was expanded to become a model school for student teachers to train in, adding an additional six classrooms to the existing four.
After a decrease in enrolment over the previous decade, the school closed in 1973, and was used as extra space for the school board until it was purchased three years later by the City of Peterborough. It reopened as the Queen Alexandra Community Centre and was home to many tenants over the years, but is now the exclusive home of Activity Haven.
Related fonds at TVA: There are no fonds at TVA with a close link to this one.
Peterborough Normal School
North Ward School
Queen Alexandra Community Centre
Peterborough Collegiate Institute
List of Files:
- 13 Photographs of classes and teams at Queen Alexandra School in Peterborough from 1933 and 1951-1958 including:
- Queen Alexandra Public School Soccer Team, 1933 [Includes F. H. Dearborn, assistant principal and coach; Jack O’Neill; Ivor Packingham; William Gates; Joe Drummond; Alfred Smith; Alvin King; Harold Morrow; Albert Page; Robert Parnell; William Staunton; Herb Galley]
- Kindergarten 1951, [Includes a teacher and 17 pupils]
- Grade 8 Graduation Class, June 1953
- Safety Patrol, June 1954
- Graduation Class, June 1954
- Safety Patrol, 1955
- Graduation Class, 1954
- Safety Patrol, 1956
- Student Council, 1956
- Grade 8 Class, 1957 [Teachers were N. J. Caner and R. K. McKee; Students in the class are also identified]
- Student Council, 1958 [Teachers are R. K. McKee and Miss B. Hart; students include Lawrence Cherney; Paul Cragg; Doug Bacon; Cynthia Bell; Mary Ellen McKinnon; Nancy Gordon; Linda Lentz; Bert Painter; x; x; x; Christine Watson; Gary Bleecker; Jon Donker
- Safety Patrol, 1958
- Graduating Class, 1958 [Includes Florini Wall; Bob Robertson; John Edkins; Anton VanKatwyk; David Wilson; Bill Ross; Clifford Endicott; Paul Ross; Vance Drain; Diane Williams; Cynthia Bell; Anka Donker; Doug Bacon; Doug Hendren; Alvin McInroy; Norman Holland; Bill Hurst; Kaye Beasley; Paul Cragg; Eric Smith; David Reid; Diane Elliott; Nancy Gordon; R. K. McKee (principal and teacher); Linda McIlmoyle; Kaaren Gatfield; Diane Hartle; Jolyn Harloff; Mary Ellen McKinnon; Sharon Jarvis
- 2 group photographs from an unidentified school c. 1890s
- Four photos taken at the Peterborough Collegiate Institute between 1894 and 1897