A Q4; A XX6
Date of the items: 1906-1951
Physical description: 2.5 cm
Title: Terry Hawkins Fonds
Creator: Terry Hawkins
Repository: Trent Valley Archives
Reference number: TVA Fonds 303
Scope and contents: Fonds consists of photos of the Jackson Park and Bonnerworth area taken by Terry Hawkins with his first camera, c. 1948, showing the area in a period of transition; and pins, patches and other ephemera related to the Peterborough area.
Access Conditions: No Restrictions
Finding aid: None, see detailed file listing below
Accruals: No further accruals are expected
Custodial history: The photos were donated to the Trent Valley Archives in November of 2010 by Terry Hawkins. The pins and patches were donated by him in September and October of 2011. The Canada Packers aerial photo was donated by him on April 12, 2014. The envelopes were donated by him on October 18 2016.
Biographical sketch: Terry Hawkins grew up in Peterborough, and in 1948 was living at 492 Bonaccord Street with his parents, John H. and Jean Hawkins, and his brother Trevor. His father was a floor finisher whose shop was attached to the family residence. By the 1950s, the family had moved to 781 George Street, and his father was now operating Peterborough Sales and Rentals at 24 Barnardo Avenue. Terry Hawkins was a teacher and principal for many years, and was the author of two books on collecting milk bottles and related ephemera.
Related fonds at TVA: There are no fonds at TVA with a close link to this one.
List of Files:
Folder 1: Hamilton Park
- Hamilton Park, the island being improved and the wading pool being enhanced c 1948. This is shortly after this area stopped being the city’s open garbage dump.
- Hamilton Park c 1948. Island enhanced and wading pool dam in place. Note Jackson Park central entrance and Parkhill road bridge in background.
- Parkhill road bridge over Jackson Creek, c 1948; the bridge, then Trevor Hawkins on his bike, CNR level crossing, hill up to Fairbairn Street.
- Hamilton Park. Jackson Creek under modification c 1948.
- The cement White Bridge in Jackson Park, c 1948. (In summer a dam was placed on the near side (west) of the bridge to create a swimming area.
- Parkhill Road level bridge over Jackson Creek and level CNR train crossing; note the steam locomotive.
- A view of the Bonnerworth factory taken from Bonaccord Street, c 1948.
- CNR engine heading downtown. Houses are on McDonnel Street near the Bonnerworth factory.
- View of Bonaccord Street bridge over Jackson Creek, c 1948.
- CNR station 1970/71 Bethune St. Peterborough Looking south on Bethune St from Charlotte St.
Folder 2: Canada Packers
- Aerial view of Canada Packers c. 1950
Folder 3: Pins and Patches
- Pin Peterborough Ski Club, 1937-1938
- Buttons United Packinghouse Workers CIO 1945
- Button “Percival’s Radio Good Deed Club 1948″
- Grafton’s Knothole Gang
- Vote Liberal “Dit” Clapper [federal election, 1949]
- Patch Peterborough Ski Club, 1950-51
- Patch Devil’s Elbow 90
- Plastic pin Peter Robinson Homecoming 1975
- Shoulder patch Prince of Wales Rangers Canada
Folder 4: LCBO Beer
- Lithograph plate with beer caps, interiors LCBO Beer
Folder 5: Envelopes
- Envelope from the City Clerk, Peterborough, 11 September 1915
Envelope features the city seal printed in red; and on the obverse, description of Peterborough – The Electric City.
- Front of two envelopes: 1. Empress, Geo. Graham Prop.; 2. American Cereal Co. Featuring the Quaker Oats man as symbol of purity
- La Grande Guerre “Arras: Apres le bombardment” postcard book